Thursday, October 4, 2007

The music festival

The music festival I have been working on is coming together nicely. The blog about it has not done so well though. I have just not had time to blog about the festival. Hope to get going on that, but thought I would give the festival a shameless plug here. :)

We finally have the electricity issue resolved. That was perhaps our biggest hurdle. We will be using generators.

The festival itself is 6 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 23. It is in the big field where the old meat packing plant used to be, by the levy. The big field is not being used for anything, but it is part of the city's long range plan for parks and such.

The city has a building there now it uses as a shed. I was glad to see yesterday that they (not sure who "they" are) were cleaning up the piles of dirt and such, and smoothing out the driveway.

People keep asking why we are having it there, but once they get out and see the location, they understand why. It is true there are several other venues, and we may bring in some music to different places around town eventually.
But the point is the location to some extent.

My dream is to have more river access, and to have a true riverfront park. I also want to see more live music. This area is perfect for a music festival.

I hope to have a large music festival here in Arkansas City someday. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither are music festivals. I think we are off to a good start. But we are only starting.

The people of Arkansas City are making this thing happen. People can say what they like about Arkansas City being a negative place, but the support I have received has been nothing short of amazing. There are a lot of positive people in this town, and a lot of people who are willing to support positive activities.

I do have a small web site up about the festival.

www.riveroflifemusicfestival.homestead.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this.

I wish you all the best!

knightrules1