Sunday, July 27, 2008

Across Missouri

Decided to head straight East and get through Missouri as quickly as possible. 166 to Joplin, then Highway 60 all the way to Kentucky. Didn't stop except for gas. Was hard to not stop and look at stuff, but I wanted to have a full day today to explore.

Im actually in Cape Girardeau, MO, just across the river from Illinois. Kentucky is just a few miles south.
Today I am going to explore some of the towns on the Mississippi and then head across Kentucky. Hope to get to East Tennessee by tonight, but it might be tomorrow.
We usually go down through Tulsa and go across Tennessee. Im always up for trying something new.
Was surprised at how good of time I made and how easy Highway 60 is to travel. Its 4 lane and 65 mph nearly all the way. Goes through the Ozarks a bit, so that was fun.
Went through an Amish area and saw some people driving buggies.One guy had a load of corn. Would have been a great picture, but I was trying to hurry and they dont like their picture taken anyway.

From what Ive read these towns along the Mississippi have great riverfront parks. Hint Hint to Ark City. Planning on exploring cape girardeau a bit, then down to Cairo, Ill, and Paducah, KY.

Gas was "down" to 350 a gallon in Missouri.
Lots of people are traveling. Lots of traffic but it was moving smoothly.
People say theres a recession, but people are out there having fun.

Was hard to find a hotel room, and I ended up staying in a pricier place than what I normally get. The cheaper places, even Motel 6 was sold out.
I usually stay in one of those dingy places run by "furriners" :).
Usually around $30. And you're lucky if it even has soap in the bathroom.
But if all you need is a place to sleep its fine.

This place has free internet and free breakfast. Ill try to post about Kentucky tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your having a lot of fun James! I have to admit that I'm jealous, The furthest trip I took this year was to Wichita to school shopping for my daughter. I would love to get in the car and go- Have fun and safe travels! Oh and I hope you post some pictures when you get back!!!

Anonymous said...

Have Fun! See you when you get back

Anonymous said...

misty, onthe opening page of the blog click on cowley volleyball and you can see pictures of his trip.