Friday, August 10, 2007

aimless rambling

I realized I have not blogged since Wednesday, so thought I should write something. I don't really have anything to write about, so here is some pointless rambling.
After re-reading it, it seems to be about various states I've lived in.

The Dog Days of summer are finally here in Arkansas City. I don't know why they are called that. Its the time when not much is going on, its beastly hot, and towards the time when school restarts.
It is good to finally see some hot and relatively dry weather. Lately its felt like South Carolina out there. It's common there for it to be 95 degrees, 90 percent humidity and not a cloud in the sky. On the coast there is a shower about every day at about 3 p.m. that cools things off.
But that kind of humidity is not so usual here in Kansas.
I mention South Carolina because that is where I lived before I moved to Kansas.
There are lots of things I like about Kansas and some things I miss about South Carolina. I also once lived in Arkansas. I really don't care if I ever go back to that state or not.

One big cultural adjustment has been food. In South Carolina there is food at every function you go to, and usually really good Southern food.
Just a difference that I've noticed.

People talk about how bad Arkansas City is, but these people should visit LA (lower Arkansas) sometime and see their small towns. It really is flat. Lots of pine trees and acre after acre of farmland. Lots of cotton, soybeans and rice.
Lots of mosquitoes too.
Yep, Arkansas is a good place to be from ... a long way from.

I like Kansas a lot better, though I'll admit that my favorite state is Tennessee, which is where I grew up.
There are three main reasons, first is University of Tennessee football, second is football as played by the university of Tennessee, and third is big Orange Football.
Im exaggerating a bit, but, it is almost football season and I always get a little excited about that. Tennessee is also very beautiful, and ya gotta love that twangy southern accent.

I did live in Texas for six months, but I don't think I was there long enough to get a good feel for what it was really like.
I was in Marshall, Texas, and worked for a newspaper. The town was kinda cool, but the job was one of those horror tales you hear about.
So I don't have an opinion about living in Texas.

Well I need to get to work.

Drop me a comment sometime.

Selah

James

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of all the states you've lived in, I agree, Tenn is the most beautiful. :)
Parts of Georgia aren't so bad themselves.

Hey from an old friend - Cathy from CBS. I've been lurking for a while - I've prohibited myself from posting, and I only read some. It's the same old same old and it tends to T me off.

I was checking out your concert blog, and then moved on to this one. Hey, check out Tyler Dodds at www.tylerdodds.com - I love his sound (and I'm not just saying that cuz he's a church brother). He travels a bunch doing "gigs" - mostly worship or church concerts.

And if you get bored, take a look at

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=22849

I've been doing some writing other than at Chris's - my story "Gator in the Hooch" is going to be published in an anthology at the end of the year. :)

Peace, dude - I miss you.
Cathy (evacatrina - aka Catrina Bradley now :) )

Anonymous said...

Oops, that 2nd link was too long

http://www.faithwriters.com/
member-profile.php?id=22849

is the whole thing.

:)

c

Traveler Editor said...

Hi Cathy
great to hear from you.
hey post here anytime you like
ive gotten tired of CBS as well.
maybe we need a new group.
:)
james