Saturday, August 11, 2007

The morning after

Saturday morning and the sun came up after all.

Yesterday was quiet a day at the newspaper. Friday is always the hardest day of the week because we do two papers.

I like putting together the paper (and please, no one take that to mean I think I do it by myself. I do my part, but many others do their parts as well, and many of the other parts are more essential than mine.).

But it is a rush of sorts to come in to the paper in the morning and put together the day's issue. You usually have a good idea of what is going to happen, but there are always surprises too. Some don't like such pressure, but I'll admit I like it a lot.

We are all usually tired around noon when the paper gets done. What makes Friday hard is that you have to crank up that energy and focus again the same day. It is more a mental thing than anything, but that in itself is the biggest challenge.

Friday was no exception, except that the papers were not being printed.
This time the newsroom had no involvement. We were done on time and had been to lunch and back before we even knew about the problem.

There was a problem with the press. Something mechanical was wrong.
I don't know the details and decided that I really didn't need to know. Anyways, they couldn't get the press going until very late.

I believe it was 9 p.m. before the Traveler was done printing. They also print the Winfield paper and other papers as well, and of course they were all very late too.

About 6 p.m. the phones started ringing. We have someone answering the phone for that very purpose, and she was handling the calls as best she could, even though there were more than a human being could possibly answer.

It got so late that it was decided to just deliver Friday's paper with Saturday's.

Finally we did think of putting something on the web site, and our friends over at KACY-FM made an announcement for us.

So hopefully you have your paper by now, both Friday and Saturday.

I think we have made some progress in this area. Not too long ago, late papers were relatively common. At least it appears to me that they are getting delivered in a more timely fashion than they did previously.

In a perverse kind of way, it was also kind of gratifying to know that people were missing their paper.
I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I am glad that we were missed.

Oh well, its the weekend now, it's a beautiful day ... and I don't have to get a paper out today.

See ya later.

james

No comments: