Wednesday, August 29, 2007

shopping

I've heard several people say they would shop more with local merchants if the stores stayed open longer. On the other hand, I've heard shop owners say they don't stay open later because no one comes to shop.

It does make sense though, to think that people might go shopping more if downtown stores were open after people get off work.

Say its 7 p.m. and you need or want a widget. There's a couple stores downtown that have them, but they close at 5 p.m., but that big ugly box store on the north side is open, so ... where you gonna go for that widget?

We just started a new web poll with this question. So far people are saying they would shop more downtown if stores were open later.

Another point to consider is that people like to walk around in Arkansas City, and often in the evening you can see people walking along Summit downtown. Maybe they would go inside a store that was open?

Some people weep and wail about the big box store and say it is running businesses out of town.

I am not so sure that is the case. Times change, and those businesses that adjust will survive.

A little story I heard some time back .

Two bobby pin makers were in New York City. Hair styles changed and women stopped using bobby pins. One of the companies went broke because they made bobby pins and no one was buying them anymore.
However, Mr. Clairol understood that he was in the hair care business.
He quit making bobby pins and started making what women were using.

Anyways, it would be interesting to see if local businesses would stay open later. Then we would have to see if people would shop more.

Of course, this assumes that the local businesses have good products and offer good service. From what I have seen, most do. It is possible that any of them could have a bad day, but on the whole, I've been happy with service downtown.

It is true that the big ugly box store is cheaper on most things. But the products are also cheaper. For the most part, you get what you pay for. Quality is usually better in the long run.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

James,
Not sure, but I thought downtown used to stay open late on Thursdays. But, wanted to say, from my experience in sales, generally in "small town" America, people aren't out late shopping. In larger metro areas, yes. Plus, the retailers have to pay help to keep the doors open later, etc. But, maybe I'm wrong. Might be worth a try if publicized correctly. My thoughts. Thx for blogging.

knightrules1

Anonymous said...

I think it would be great to have stores open in the evenings. I don't care much for the quality of the "big box" store. If I buy downtown I know I'll get service when I buy it and for as long as I need it. I also prefer dealing with the owner in most cases. They can generally tell me everything I need to know about what I'm buying.

Anonymous said...

I'm an out-of-towner, but have family in AC. When I come to visit, I always make a point of shopping downtown and have always had great experiences. The folks are much nicer in the smaller shops, and you definitely get one-on-one service (which I rarely experience in big-box-stores.) I think if everyone made an effort at trying to shop downtown, it could make a difference in how you perceive the area. Plus, don't a lot of people do their shopping on Saturdays? Surely they don't hop in the car and drive all the way to Wichita after a long day of work during the week.

Traveler Editor said...

Some good comments. THanks.
I believe some used to stay open a bit later in conjunction with the farmers market on Thursdays. I don't believe that worked out too well - but thats just my impression.

It may not have because people were into the outdoor shopping.

I agree about the service and quality you get. There prices may be a bit higher, but the quality is better. Also, Bryants and Radio Shack have both solved problems for me that ended up saving me money.

It is still a two-way street though. The downtown folks need to give people a reason to stop by.

I'm not sure if later hours would really work, but I do hear that comment a lot around town.