Sunday, August 5, 2007

sunday rambling

Howdy everyone.
I see that some people are still stopping by the blog now that we have changed to a new sever.
However, no one is leaving comments.
I can't blame you too much though, as city business is not exactly the hottest topic to talk about these days.

This blog does need to be about other things than city government.

I do mean to keep harping on the negativity, and the need for a more positive attitude.

There are some good things happening in Arkansas City.

But even more importantly, there are good people here. If you don't see what you want, there is no reason that you couldn't do it yourself.

With that thought in mind, and somewhat of a desire to practice what I preach, I have come up with an idea.

I want to put together some outdoor music concerts.
There are lots of good musicians in the area, who need a place to play. I am not one of them, but I know several of them.

I am starting to organize, and need help. I don't know what I am doing but that might be good because that also means I don't know what can't be done.

My dream is to have a big music festival right here in river city.

The Walnut Valley Festival is coming up in Winfield soon. That started as a small gathering by another crazy many who didn't know what couldn't be done.

Why couldn't Arkansas City do the same?

Not saying that it would reach the level of the Walnut Valley Festival, or even that I want that to be the case, but I do believe we need music festivals.

This first one will be contemporary Christian rock music.

We could have other types of music in future concerts or festivals.

Why couldn't Arkansas City become a place for music festivals?

Woodstock was in a rural area, on a farm in the middle of nowhere. There isn't even a town there. People still talk about it 40 years later.

What do you all think ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my rambling:

Woodstock was a disaster in many ways: no proper restroom facilities for the amount of people who showed up. Living among raw sewage for 3 days. Most people's cars were blocked in on the road and couldn't leave if they wanted to. Plus, think about the amount of money lost because most people didn't buy a ticket. the fence was down the first day. And would Kansas be read for nudity?

Also would the folks that long for the Woodstock legend really identify with the spirit of such a festival? Think about the war that was going on then and think about the war now. Did the people really listen to the lyrics then. If so then most would have been open to alternative solutions to the war now. No, I think it was an excuse for most hippies to get high and make babies.

I do believe in the idea of Woodstock but I've been to the more recent attempts and believe me, it's all about the people's state of mind and we are too selfish and control hungry to be capable of an ideal like that.

Traveler Editor said...

Thanks for responding.
My point in mentioning Woodstock was not to say we need to have another one. My point was that it started in an obscure place and became something much larger.

I agree that it is all about people's state of mind.

To change the world, you must first change yourself.

We don't have to be selfish and control hungry do we?

j