Monday, August 6, 2007

Tired of Negativity

Mark Twain allegedly said "everyone talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it."
I could say the same thing about negativity in Arkansas City.
I guess the nay sayers, and negative people just talk louder than anyone else, but you do hear it all over the place.
Like :
The town isn't what it used to be. (That might actually be good, but thats another column)
Things are going downhill.
The town is drying up.
ad nauseum

I even heard someone Monday blasting the fair because it is in Winfield and not in Arkansas City. Of course there were lots of Arkansas City people there. It is, after all, a county event. I only mention that to show how silly it can get.

Yes, Winfield is a rival. Ive only lived here 4 years, but im on the bandwagon with that.
But to me its a friendly rivalry that doesn't really mean anything.
What is good for one is good for the other. We should support each other by going to festivals and other events.

But back to my point.
For those who rip Arkansas City, I could show you some places that are much worse by comparison. Granted, that doesn't make Arkansas City good, but the point is, things are not that bad here.

It's easy to sit back and complain, moan and groan. I guess I'm just tired of it.

People should also realize that they are part of the town, so if the town is lousy, they are part of the reason for it being lousy. A town is no better or worse than the people who comprise the town. So when you live here and rip the town, realize that when you point that finger, three of them are pointing back at you.

I'd like to publicly call out all the naysayers, all the negative people.

What have you done to make Arkansas City a better place ?
How much money have you contributed ?
How much sweat have you deposited on the streets making them better ?
What projects have you participated in ?
What projects have you started ?

Go do those things for a few months and get back to me.

The old saying is true, if you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What have you done to make Arkansas City a better place ?
Bought an old, torn up house and fixed it up, inside and out. Cleaned up the yard AND maintain it (keep it mowed, don't park in the yard, don't chain my dogs outside). Do community service. Buy locally when possible (given availability issues). Report illegal activity in my neighborhood to law enforcement (with no action taken, so I'm not sure why I bother).

How much money have you contributed ?
We all pay somehow, but our money is only as good as the city government workers who spend it.

How much sweat have you deposited on the streets making them better ?
I believe the city contracted laborers for that. But I work and pay taxes.

What projects have you participated in ?
Plenty, but I don't do this for fame so it wouldn't be appropriate to say.

What projects have you started ?
How about tried to start? If you don't already have a name (w/daddy's money) in this town, nobody listens.

I apologize for the cynicism. But you asked.

Traveler Editor said...

We do make our own realities at times.
Im just going to comment briefly on your answers.


Do community service. Buy locally when possible (given availability issues). Report illegal activity in my neighborhood to law enforcement (with no action taken, so I'm not sure why I bother).
>>>>
take the matter to the city commission ... ask them why lawsare not enforced...


We all pay somehow, but our money is only as good as the city government workers who spend it.

>>
Really dont agree with this .. we all pay taxes, i was talkng about giving to worthwhile organizations and charities and such ... which has nothing to do with city government
>>>


How much sweat have you deposited on the streets making them better ?
I believe the city contracted laborers for that. But I work and pay taxes.
>>>>

No .. volunteers are needed for many things ...
cant expect the city to do everything for us ... and not raise taxes at the same time.
>>


What projects have you participated in ?
Plenty, but I don't do this for fame so it wouldn't be appropriate to say.
>>
copout .. .sorry, thats how I see that answer
>>>

What projects have you started ?
How about tried to start? If you don't already have a name (w/daddy's money) in this town, nobody listens.
>>
I have started a music festival ... the only money i have is what people have given me ..
its going to happen and going to be great ...
you are making excuses.