Saturday, January 5, 2008

saturday night, home again ?

Just flew back tonight. Got into Wichita and got to Ark City around 7 or so.
Picked up some germs along the way, got a cold - or maybe its allergies - either way its a pretty lousy way to come home.
That happens to me a lot. I tend to catch colds when I fly.
But it could still be allergies, hard to tell at times. That is one thing I like about Kansas, my allergies are not nearly as bad.

It was great being in East Tennessee. They have lots of restaurants, lots of stores, lots of everything - even mountains and lakes.
You cant help but compare.

That area is growing by leaps and bounds. Someone was telling that a local school district was in a bind because they were expecting 500 new -additional- students and got 700. They're building a school about ever year, but then there are 100,000 people in the school district.

Im not sure we can ever expect that kind of growth here - and we might not want it either. There are some advantages to small town life. I don't miss traffic jams and 8-lane streets at all.

But I do think we cam make some tings happen here. What we need is a new attitude. We need to stop complaining and get to work. As the old saying goes, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I want to start a new blog, one for ideas.
People could post their ideas and other people could discuss those ideas with them.
Maybe some new ideas will spring up.
Maybe I can post info on how to get help and so forth.

What do you all think ?

james

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi James-

I think this is a great idea - to post ideas!

I know that I have plenty of ideas some are very realistic and others are a reach.

Anonymous said...

James,

I think that an idea blog is a GREAT idea! Please start that as soon as possible.

One idea I have I will share now: if the city fails to provide the support for the expansion of the library in order to house more books, I propose that the former Carnegie library be donated to the city as a storage facility for archived library materials, or for a "branch" of the current library. Or perhaps another property in town could be donated or "sold" to the library for a nominal fee for such a branch.

We have a GREAT team at the library who are doing the best they can with their present resources, but they are handicapped by the lack of space they have for new acquisitions and new services.

I also applaud the library for taking the innovative move of doing away with late fee both to cut down on the low return on their investment of resources for the amount of revenue brought in AND because one of their primary motivations was to remove the barriers which were preventing low-income and the underprivileged from utilizing the library. There are a lot of people throughout history in the USA who made successes out of themselves despite not having advantages in part by using the resources of a library to learn from. Bravo for the Arkansas City Public Library!

Anonymous said...

The last time I looked, the old library was owned by Roger Sparks.

Traveler Editor said...

OK, ill get it set up

Sparks does own the old library, ... dont know if he has any interest in selling it ?

it would also be a great coffeehouse type place for music and other entertainment .