Friday, October 17, 2008

more on involvement

Some good comments on yesterdays post.
I do think we could make Ark City great. But it is us that has to make it happen.
I think people have a lot of good ideas. It is just hard to get started.
There is the IDEA BLOG, that hasn't gotten much attention. You can see it over to the right on my list of blogs. You could talk about your ideas there, and keep us posted as you seek to find your passion and your project.

Take my challenge, I dare you. :)
Find yourself a project and just do it.

I wanted to also tell you all how the music festival came about. It didn't start out as a music festival at all.
It started out when I was at a coffeehouse in another city in another state. I just thought about how cool it would be to have something like that here. Tables and chairs in front of a stage.. great coffee, cookies, desserts and such .. good music every night.

Sort of like Browns Cafe Acoustic, but not just once a month.
From there I was talking with Patrick McDonald about old buildings downtown.
I was thinking about creating an arts center - different than the ark city arts center in that this would be for more folksy arts, and for performing arts.
Music and small plays, or performers of various kinds. It wouldn't be fine arts at all.
Basically a place where anyone could perform. And every now and then bring in a big-name area performer .
I talked with a lot of people about that.
Got a lot of positive feedback.
But the cost seemed really out of reach. You would have to pay rent, and then fix up a building. Pay utilities. Where would the money come from?
Probably not from paying customes... 100 people at $5 a shot would only be $500..

It was along these lines I was thinking when one day I was just curious about that field south of town.
Realized I had never really looked there before. There was no gate so I drove in - easier to apologize than get permission I always say.
It was there that I saw the possibilities for an outdoor concert.
So I started talking with people about that.
Again I got positive encouragement. I wanted to get something done by the end of the summer. thought about trying to get just one guy to play on a sunday afternoon ... real simple.

My goal at that point was to develop the area, using music. But also to develop that area as river access and a river front park...
Then other people got involved and it developed from there.
I found out it was pretty easy to get musicians.
I started asking businesses for support. The first day I got a $500 donation and promises of more.
About a week after that I met Telisa Rohr.... and the rest is history, as they say.

So you see, your idea may not be what you think it is :) :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The rest of the story."

-Paul Harvey


thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

JJ,
I tied to post this on your idea blog, but I don't have a blogger name yet and couldn't post anonymously so I am posting it here. Here goes....what do you think??

An idea I had for a long time, but never really did anything with would be to start an open on the weekends/ year round/ farmer's /flea market/ auction house.
A genuine village market.

I had thought about getting in touch with the folks who owned Village Market before they sold it, but I never did. I wish now I had because it just sits empty but would be a good spot for my idea.

There is nothing like it around here that I know of, but something that I think would do well here.

Sanford Florida has Flea World and a better place along the lines of what I was thinking is Zern'z Market in Gilbertsville PA.

Both places drew in alot of people and business.

My question is....how do I get started on something like this??

I truly belive that its something that would be good for Ark City and would create a niche thats not there and would give us as a city something viable and different to offer.

Zern's and Flea world drew in ALOT of people and became a fixed feature of their communities.

What do others think of this idea??
Any ideas on how to get it started??

PW

Anonymous said...

Make it like Canton Texas...the first Sunday,Monday sales that have grown into a full time attraction. Started out in some open fields and now is housed in a variety of ways.

Draws in thousands of people and they sell everything

Anonymous said...

First look into how to set one up.
There are ways to get help with a business plan, which you need.
Research businesses and see how they got started, how they are organized and so forth.

One option is to start small. See if the city will let you organize a small sale down where the concert was.

Anonymous said...

I would also speak with someone at the conventions and visitors bureau.

The ag building is pretty cheap to rent out if you wanted to have it indoors. http://www.arkcity.org/index.asp?nid=902

Personally, I like the idea of it being downtown/central location to get started if you needed more space later then you could move it somewhere else.

Maybe down 5th Avenue on the West side of Summit? It couldn't be that big of deal to shut it down once a month in the summer/spring/fall.

Anonymous said...

Go! Go! Go! Nothing fails but a try. If it doesn't succeed, at least you can say you gave it your best shot.

Traveler Editor said...

Ill try to change the settings on the idea blog so you can post there.
Now here is the challenge.
Keep us posted on how it is going on the idea blog.
Some good suggestions here already, and keep talking to people, more will come.
Be open.

Set yourself an opening date this weekend. It will be a target that can only be changed if absolutely necessary.
It will also keep you motivated. When you talk to people, their first question will be When is it... so that needs to just flow out of you because you have it decided and theres no question.

Maybe you could have one indoors at the agri building before christmas?
Charge people a small fee to set up and sell and that could cover the rental cost.
THen get some group to sell drinks and food. Hope to make a little there.
(I have a coke connection:) )
That first one, just try to break even.

How would the auction figure in?

If that one goes well, then you could do a monthly thing there and later move outdoors.
Choose a catchy name.
"Ark City sells out"
or something.

That should make you a little to get going on the outdoor thing..
Pick a day to start, say april...

Oh yea, one more thing, when your talking to people ... there will be some people who will tell you why it wont work, ... listen politely for a minute or two to determine if they have ever done it... if not, just walk away, if they have, see if they learned anything and see if you can use that. Sometimes its best to just walk away period ... dont let those people deter you.
You have to decide that it is ok if it doesnt work. Fail boldly !
Good luck:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

gosh